Pages

Thursday, 28 July 2016

Birds of a feather...

Although there's been occasional nests, I've no bird houses as yet in my garden, but if I did they might look like this.

Linking to That's Crafty 'Birds of a feather'
and AJJ 'In my garden there is'



Stamps used Paperartsy set JOFY  #15, Kaisercraft 'film edges' and 'sketchy',
Not sure who made the small silhouette birds on branch.
For colour used panpastels for b/g + Inktense pencils.

 
Thanks so much for stopping by
Gill xx

Sunday, 17 July 2016

for AJJ - In my garden there is... no sense of time

For the wonderful challenge 'In my garden there is' over at AJJ that Yvonne is hosting this month.
 
If I go out to do something in my garden with the intention of spending half an hour or so I can be certain that an hour or so will pass before I think to check the clock.
 

 
 For background used Aquamarkers and pan pastels. Stamps: various alpha & small grunge stamps, girl by 'Cherry Pie', Dandelions-unknown.


 


Didn't get much done last week as busy with appointments but while out had a nice walk down seafront in the sunshine.
 
There are various trees along the promenade and in the gardens there. I was surprised to see lots of palm trees had also been planted in the sand.
 
 
Thanks for taking the time
to stop by
 
Gill x
 
 


Saturday, 9 July 2016

A quickish draw and then to Paris

Hello
Hope you're having a nice weekend, it's pretty grey here at present. Its the Wimbledon finals weekend and also Silverstone Formula 1 racing, so hopefully it will improve for everyone.
 
I had my egg timer out attempting another fun 'quick draw' which is this months optional challenge over at  Kim Dellow 'Show your face'
OK so I flipped my egg timer over 3 times so I actually spent 9 minutes drawing (using pigment marker pen and soft pastels) - the time goes so fast and I probably spend half of it faffing about! 


 
 
 I'm also linking up my second piece to  Moo Mania & More  'Paris' theme
  
 
For background I used Aquamarker pens and scribble/draw on to a piece of cellophane and I either breathe on that or spritz it slightly and press it down on the paper.
 Also used various stamps and 3 star stickers and made a Eiffel Tower mask from a Marianne Design die.

Thanks so much for stopping by
Enjoy your weekend
Gill xx

Monday, 4 July 2016

A quick face and water soluble/mixable oil paints experiment

Good day all 
and a special Happy 4th Of July to all my US friends

At 'Show your face' over at Kim Dellows  the theme this month is a 'Quick draw' of our face art. For mine I used a few oil pastels and opted to see what I could achieve in 6 minutes which was 2 turns of the egg timer.
It's amazing just how quick the time goes when you don't want it to.


  
A few days ago I mentioned that when I got some new acrylic paints, that Dave also had some water soluble/mixable oil paints and I was asked about them...
Having no experience of oil paints myself, and Dave hadn't painted for a good 20 years or so, I decided to have a play and experiment  to see what they were like. I was always put off in the past by the lingering smell of normal oil paints and the fact the paint took ages and ages to dry properly.   

 I tried 3 brands of water soluble oil paints: Cobra, Artisan and Georgian - they all have a slight smell but nothing as bad as normal oil paints but I still didn't really like that. (I have a bit of a sensitive nose and throat so I should have guessed they would affect me).
I did start a painting (not finished and not shown here) and I quite like the way the paints mixed and blended on the canvas, but as time went on I was more and more aware of the smell. However Dave is smitten with them and the smell not so noticeable to him.
 
Drying times are something like 5-8 days - I'm impatient so that's too long for me. I didn't have any of the proper fast drying mediums (which I believe also have an odour) for these type of paints, which halve the time, so instead I played around with some acrylic mediums I have to see what would happen.

 
1. Daler Rowney acrylic matt medium. Mixed nicely into a creamy consistency.

2. Daler Rowney flow enhancer. Mixed up a bit bubbly - but I like how it dried.

3. Galeria matt medium. A thinner medium than the Daler Rowney.

4. Galeria gloss medium. Appeared more like a glaze.

5. Walnut oil. Not fast drying of course but I'd read it could be used as an extender.

6. Galeria fluid retarder, slightly slower drying but nice finish.

Then I remembered that some colours take longer to dry than others because of their pigment so I then tried a colour which I believe is one of the slower drying ones and tried the experiment again.
Mixing proportions of paint to medium about (about 50/50).


7. Georgian - Crimson alizarin hue - neat.

8. Georgian - Crimson alizarin hue with Daler Rowney flow enhancer

9. Georgian - Crimson alizarin hue with Daler Rowney acrylic matt medium

10. Georgian - Crimson alizarin hue with Galeria matt medium

11. Georgian - Crimson alizarin hue with Galeria fluid retarde.

The matt and gloss mediums dried the same day.
Other than the walnut oil the rest dried in a few days. Some have a slight tacky feel to surface and in parts slightly shiny. I think the Galeria matt medium was my favourite, however I don't think I'll be taking up any kind of oil painting any time soon.



While I was playing, Dave was busy painting and obviously by the many changes not happy with what he was doing..... maybe it'll turn into a seascape next!
But one way or another he will definitely be carrying on with the water mixable oil paints but hopefully not any where near me!






Thanks for stopping by
Have a great day
Gill xx